The Golden Booklet
The Golden Booklet is the shorter, easy read version of the Golden Binder.
About The Golden Binder
A resource has been created by SEND Family Voices working with Achieving for Children (AfC) and representatives from Health, Social Care, Schools, Early Years and Post 16 to create a complete set of guidance documents relating to “Support for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND)”. The resource is nicknamed the “Golden Binder”. Every Early Years setting, school SENCo and special school in Richmond and Kingston should have a copy, as well as all key professionals involved with the EHCP process. The resource can be viewed and downloaded from this page. A memory stick can be obtained from SEND Family Voices.
The content in the binder is jointly owned by a group of professionals, parents and AfC staff who are jointly responsible for keeping it up to date and ensuring that any changes are made with the knowledge and in consultation with all the other teams and functions that are involved. If you have any comments or feedback on the guidance in these chapters or the way the guidance is presented on the website, then please use the Local Offer "Contact Us" page to feedback. The comments will be reviewed and changes made twice a year.
The Golden Binder contains all the guidance, forms and templates to be used for:
- Requesting an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Needs Assessment for the first time, and
- the Education, Health and Care Plan templates to be used by SEN, Education, Health and Social Care professionals and to be completed with a family once it has been agreed that a plan is needed.
- Transferring a statement to an Education, Health and Care Plan
- Reviewing Education, Health and Care Plans
We recommend that the accompanying guidance is referred to when completing requests for a Needs Assessment or completing the Education, Health and Care Plan templates. This guidance is contained in the relevant chapters of the Golden Binder.
The importance of using the correct versions of templates and forms
All the guidance, forms and templates which form the contents of the Golden Binder are listed below. The Golden Binder is regularly reviewed and it is important that current practice is followed and the latest templates and forms are used. For this reason we recommend that the latest templates are downloaded from this site each time they are required.
When we launched the Golden Binder we committed to reviewing it every 6 months to update any aspects of the forms or guidance that users were telling us needed improvement. We conducted a review in the Spring term and have now issued the updated guidance and forms.
If you wish to keep your paper copy of the binder up to date we suggest that you print out the revised documents and replace them in your binder.
So that you can see exactly what has changed we have prepared a document listing what has been updated and also a list of the up to date versions of each document.
- Contents page
- Chapter 1 – Supporting children and young people with SEN
- Chapter 2 – Early Years
- Chapter 3 – SEN Support in School
- Chapter 4 - Education, Health and Care Plans
- Chapter 5 – Detailed guidance on completing the EHCP Form
- Chapter 6 – Transfer from a Statement to an EHCP
- Chapter 7 – Annual Review
- Chapter 8 – Further Education
- Chapter 9 – Personal Budgets
- Chapter 10 – Decision Making and what to do if you disagree with a decision
Appendix 1 – SEN Support
- SEN Support Plan - example 1
- SEN Support Plan - example 2
- SEN Support Plan - example 3
- SEN Support Plan - example 4
- SEN Support Plan - example 5
- Guide to Reasonable Adjustments
- SEN Threshold Guidance
The following forms numbered NA1 - 4 are for requesting an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Needs Assessment for the first time.
The separate Provision Map - Form PM should be used to support a needs assessment request.
Appendix 2 – Needs Assessment Request Forms
- NA1 - Needs assessment request form (school or early years)
- NA2 - Needs assessment request form (Further Education or Training provider)
- NA3 - Needs assessment request form (young person)
- NA4 - Needs assessment request form (parent)
The following Education, Health and Care Plan templates are to be used by SEN, Education, Health and Social Care professionals and to be completed with a family once it has been agreed that a plan is needed.
Appendix 3 – EHCP Templates
- EHC A - EHCP Template Section A - version for printing (pdf)
- EHC A - EHCP Template Section A - electronic version (Word)
- EHC1 - EHCP Template Section B-K (v6)
- EHC PFA - EHCP Additional PfA sections
- EHC2 - EHCP Template Section B-K (Year 10 onwards)
Appendix 4 – Example EHCPs (for reference – not copy)
- EHCP Example (pdf)
- EHCP Example Health input (CP)
- EHCP Example Health input (ASD/ADHD)
- EHCP Example Health input (ASD/Gut issues)
- EHCP Example Health input (Hearing impairment)
Appendix 5 – Health
- Health Advice for the EHC Needs Assessment (Health professionals template)
- Therapies – Kingston
- Therapies – Richmond
Appendix 6 – Social Care
The following templates and forms are to be used during an annual review.
Appendix 7 – Annual review and Transfer templates
- AR1 - Education, Health and Care Plan review form
- TR1 - Annual review checklist pre-transfer to Education, Health and Care Plan
- PM - Provision Map - to be used to support needs assessment requests and/or to support the request for additional provisional during an annual review.
Appendix 8 – EHCP Checklist
Appendix 9 – Outcomes and Person Centred Planning
- Developing outcomes for Young People – towards best practice
- How to write an outcome on one page
- Developing Outcomes – 8 Step Process
- Simple Communications
Appendix 10 – Further Education
Appendix 11 (to be provided)
Appendix 12 – Additional information
- Guide to SEND Reforms for Parents and Carers
- SEND Family Voices introductory leaflet
- Local Offer leaflet